lake county logo

Environmental Health

     Calm waters of the mouth of Knife River as it flows into Lake Superior
Areas of Environmental Health Responsibility:

  • Licenses — Click on Quick Links below for requirements.
    • Food and Beverage including Special Events and Non-profit Youth organizations
    • Lodging including Bed & Breakfast establishments
    • Pools including public pools & spas
    • Vacation Rental Homes additional permits are required, see Planning & Zoning webpage
    • Youth Camps
  • Radon:  Low cost Radon Kits are also available at:  For  information on the effects of Radon, go to MDH Radon in Minnesota Homes webpage.  For a limited time, Short Term Radon Test Kits are available for free at the Lake County Health & Human Services Office in Two Harbors.
  • Private water sampling:  Lake County residents with wells that use groundwater for consumption should check their water at least once per year. Water quality can change for many different reasons which may include, but are not limited to weather, repair of plumbing and age of well equipment.  The testing should check your water for total coliform bacteria, fecal coliform bacteria and nitrate.  To find well water  information or to locate an Accredited Lab, go to:  For an Accredited Laboratory for well water testing, click on Accredited Laboratories/Well Water Testing on the left panel, under Related Topics.
  • Safe Drinking Water Act: (licensed for transient, non-community water systems):  Facilities that have groundwater may be entered into the Safe Drinking Water Act Program. This means that if a business has a well servicing their facility and they meet the definition of a transient, non-community water supply, they will have their water checked annually for coliform, fecal coliform and nitrate.
Residents are welcome to contact Environmental Health at Lake County Public Health (218-834-8400)  to inquire about the programs listed above and other issues that may affect them.

Environmental Health Quick Links


Public Health Main Link Box            Public Health Link Box            WIC Link Box

Back to the Top