lake county logo

Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance is the name given to assistance programs available to people who qualify according to state and federal guidelines of income and assets.  These programs include cash assistance, childcare assistance, food support (SNAP), health care, and emergency assistance.

Health Care

Information:  Minnesota Health Care Programs
                       Health Care Access Program

Apply online at:

Health Care Quick Links
   Medicare Link BoxMinnesotaHelp info Link BoxMinnesotaveteran org Link Box MN_Comprehensive_Health_Association_Link_Box
UCare logo     
Medical Assistance Program
Minnesota Senior Health Options
Dental Benefits

Cash Assistance
  • MFIP (Minnesota Family Investment Program) and DWP (Diversionary Work Program) are federally funded programs known as TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families)
  • MSA (Minnesota Supplemental Aid)
  • GA (General Assistance) 
  • GRH (Group Residential Housing)

2020-2021 County MFIP Biennial Service Agreement Draft


  • The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps Minnesotans with low incomes get the food they need for sound nutrition and well-balanced meals. Approved participants get a debit card to use to buy food at many stores and farmers markets. In the past, SNAP was known as Food Stamps.

Emergency Assistance
  • MFIP Crisis Funds
  • EGA (Emergency General Assistance)

Child Care Assistance
  • Child care assistance may be available to families who are employed, seeking employment or are in school or training.
  • Eligibility and fees are based on family size and income. 

Licensed Day Care Providers

How do I apply? You may phone Lake County Health and Human Services at 218-834-8400, write us at Lake County Health and Human Services, 616 Third Avenue, Two Harbors, MN 55616 or view the Minnesota Department of Human Services web
page at: .

Alternatively, you may apply online.  To get started, visit Minnesota Human Services Online to use an online pre-screening tool to find out if you might qualify for benefits and to register for a user ID and password. 

If you already have a user ID and password, you can log-on to ApplyMN directly.

In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (Voice).  Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).  USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Back to the Top