lake county logo

Our Mission

Lake County Service CenterLake County Health and Human Services envisions a healthy and safe community existing to promote optimal health, protect those who are unable to protect themselves and assist and support self-sufficiency.


Although our offices are closed to the public, Lake County Health and Human Services is continuing to provide all services.  To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, staff will be providing services remotely whenever possible.  You can apply for many programs online.  Staff is available from 8 am - 4 pm Monday through Friday to answer questions via phone or email.

 Financial Assistance and Health Care Programs

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food support), Cash Assistance and Emergency Assistance:
    • Two Harbors: Combined Application Forms are available in the entryway of the Two Harbors Service Center or you can call (218) 834-8522 and have one mailed to you. 
    • Silver Bay: you can call (218) 220-6272 and arrange for curbside pick-up at the Silver Bay Service Center or have one mailed to you.
    • You can also apply online at: 
  • Child Care Assistance:
    • You can call either office to have a Child Care Assistance application mailed to you.
    • You can also apply online at:
  • Health Care:
    • Please call (218) 834-8407 for information regarding which program you may qualify for and how to apply.
  • For questions about public assistance benefits, verifications or how to apply:
    • Phone (218) 834-8522    Fax (218) 834-8412    Email:
    • A drop box is located at the main entry of both the Two Harbors and Silver Bay Service Centers.

Social Services

  • In an emergency, dial 9-1-1.
  • To contact a social worker
    • Call (218) 834-8400 during business hours (Monday – Friday, 8 am to 4 pm)
    • Call the intake line at (218) 834-8432 (Monday – Friday, 8 am to 4 pm)
  • To make a report of suspected adult maltreatment, call (844) 880-1574.
  • To make a report of suspected child maltreatment, call (218) 834-8432 to speak with the intake worker (Monday – Friday, 8 am to 4 pm).  Afterhours and on weekends contact law enforcement at (218) 834-8385.
  • For mental health crisis services, contact the crisis line at (218) 628-1800 or text “MN” to 741741.
  • In very limited situations (example: a person that does not have a safe place to discuss their needs), social work staff may arrange for a face-to-face meeting.  Staff will first conduct a health screening by phone to assess the safety of a face-to-face meeting. If the screening indicates potential health risks,social work staff will make every effort to help work through needs over the phone.

Public Health

  • COVID-19
    • MN Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline: (651) 201-3920 7 a.m.-7 p.m. daily
    • Essential Services in Lake County
    • Essential Services line: leave a message at 834-8434
    • Public Health: (218) 834-8406 or email
    • Volunteer to help provide Essential Services:
  • Women, Infants & Children (WIC): Call or text (218) 830-2472
  • Breastfeeding Support: Call Karla at (218) 349-0363
  • Home visiting via telehealth: Call for an appointment at (218) 834-8406.
  • Environmental Health: call (218) 834-8356 Monday – Friday, 8 am to 4 pm
  • Food borne illnesses, radon, private water sampling kits
  • Inspections are postposed during business closures

 Child Support

  • Application is available online at under the child support forms tab or call 834-8400 to have one mailed to you.
  • Payments continue to be processed.  If you are eligible for Unemployment benefits and owe an obligation of support, your payment will be withheld automatically. 
  • Court actions continue to be served and filed, although hearing dates are not being scheduled at this time.  Should an action require a court date, a separate notice informing you of the date and time will be sent when it is scheduled. Court forms are available at
  • MN Child Support Online is available to check on your case at
  • As always, you can talk to a worker by dialing 218-834-8400 and asking for child support.


  • The Lake County Support Guide assists residents in locating programs and services in our area (i.e., food, housing, mental health). The Support Guide is located at under the Support Guide tab.

Lake County Health and Human Services             Silver Bay Service Center
616 3rd Avenue                                                                       99 Edison Blvd.
Two Harbors, MN 55616                                                  Silver Bay, MN 55614
218-834-8400                                                                         218-226-4443



The Lake County Health and Human Services Support Guide is intended to be an easy-to-use information resource to connect Lake County residents that are in need of help or support with services that are available to them in the local area.    

The guide is categorized by area of need. For example, if you need help with food, click on the “Food” link to see an alphabetical list of all organizations in the area that provide food support. Listings include a description of the service available as well as contact information for the organization providing the service, including a link to their website.

 An electronic copy of the guide can also be found on the home page of the Lake County website under the “Support Guide” tab.

Agency Program Areas Include:

Child Support is money some parents pay to other people to support their children. The Court orders the support. The support may be part of a Court Order in a divorce or legal separation, paternity action, order for protection, child custody action or a separate child support action. Some services provided are locating parents, establishing parentage, establishing Court Orders for child, medical and/or child care support and collection and
processing payments.

Financial Assistance is the name given to assistance programs available to people who qualify according to state and federal guidelines of income and assets.  These programs include cash assistance, child care assistance, food support, health care and emergency assistance.

Public Health is the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health. Some services provided by the Public Health Department are WIC, family home visiting, footcare and immunizations.

Environmental Health is composed of services that include food and beverage, lodging, youth camp and public pool licensing and radon education.**New! Pay license fees online, see link on left of this page.

Social Services is composed of services that include adoption assistance, adult, family and children’s services, chemical and mental health services, elderly and disability services, foster care and child care licensing and community education and prevention services.  

Nondiscrimination Statement:

In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (Voice). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Back to the Top