Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Register to Vote

You can register to vote online at the Minnesota Secretary of State’s website. You may also register to vote when you apply for or renew your Minnesota driver’s license or state identification card.

Fill out a voter registration application  and return it in person or by mail to our office. Voter registration forms are available at the County Courthouse, in many telephone books, in your state tax booklet (in even-numbered years) or by downloading a  copy from the Secretary of State’s website: Voter Registration Application

Register to Vote On Election Day

In Minnesota, you are allowed to register to vote on Election Day. Use any of the following proof of residence options to register at your polling  place:

Option 1:  ID with Current Name and Address

  • Valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit,  identification card, or receipt for any of these
  • Tribal ID card with your name, address, photo and  signature.

Option 2:  Photo ID plus a document with current name and address

The ID can be expired, and the document can also be shown electronically on a device such as a smartphone.

Accepted photo IDs include:

  • Driver’s license, state ID card or learner’s permit issued by any state
  • United States passport
  • United States Military ID card
  • Tribal ID card with the name, signature and photo of the voter
  • Minnesota university, college or technical college ID card Minnesota high  school ID card

Accepted  documents include:

  • Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election  Day)
  • Current student fee statement
  • Bill, account or start of service statement due or dated within 30 days of election for: Phone (landline, cell, VOIP,  etc.), TV (cable, satellite, etc.), Internet services, solid waste or sewer services, electric service, gas service, or water service, banking or credit card, and rent or mortgage payments.

Option 3: Registered voter who can confirm your name and address

A registered voter from your precinct can go with you to the polling place to sign an oath confirming your address. A  registered voter can vouch for up to eight others.

Option 4:  College Student ID – If a student housing list was provided

College students can use a student photo ID card if their college provided a student housing list to election officials.

Option 5:  Valid registration in the same  precinct

If you were previously registered in the precinct but changed your name or moved within the same precinct, you only need to tell the election official your previous name or address – no additional documentation is needed.

Option 6:  Notice of Late Registration

If you pre-registered to vote too close to Election Day, you may have received a Notice of Late Registration in the mail.  This notice can be used to register.

Option 7:  Staff person of a residential facility

If you live in a residential facility, a facility staff person can go with you to the polling place to confirm your address.