Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance is the name given to assistance programs available to people who qualify according to state and federal guidelines of income and assets.  These programs include cash assistance, child care assistance, food support (SNAP), health care, and emergency assistance.

How do I apply? You may phone Lake County Health and Human Services at (218) 834-8400, write us at Lake County Health and Human Services, 616 Third Avenue, Two Harbors, MN 55616 or view the Minnesota Department of Human Services web page.

Alternatively, you may apply online, get started, visit Minnesota Human Services Online to use an online pre-screening tool to find out if you might qualify for benefits and to register for a user ID and password.

If you already have a user ID and password, you can log-on to ApplyMN directly.

Health Care

Burial Assistance

When family and friends need help arranging the final resting place for their loved one, Lake County’s Burial Assistance Program can help with burial expenses. Applications must be submitted within three (3) business days of the date of death. Please refer to our Burial Assistance Policy for information on eligibility requirements and the application process.

Cash Assistance

  • MFIP (Minnesota Family Investment Program) and DWP (Diversionary Work Program) are federally funded programs known as TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families)
  • MSA (Minnesota Supplemental Aid)
  • GA (General Assistance) 
  • GRH (Group Residential Housing)

Child Care Assistance

  • Child care assistance may be available to families who are employed, seeking employment or are in school or training.
  • Eligibility and fees are based on family size and income. 

SNAP – Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps Minnesotans with low incomes get the food they need for sound nutrition and well-balanced meals. Approved participants get a debit card to use to buy food at many stores and farmers markets. In the past, SNAP was known as Food Stamps.

Emergency SNAP for COVID-19

Due to the federal Families First Coronavirus Response Act, Minnesota is providing additional Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits to certain households. The households eligible for additional benefits are those that are currently not at the maximum benefit level for their household size. Below are some of the details about the program and the issuance of the supplemental benefits.

  • Minnesota Department of Human Services staff will issue the supplemental benefits one month at a time.
  • If a case already received the maximum allotment for their unit size for the month, they will not be eligible for supplemented benefits.
  • Minnesota has been approved to extend E-SNAP for the benefit month of December (supplements will be issued in January).

Emergency Assistance

  • MFIP Crisis Funds
  • EGA (Emergency General Assistance)

Financial Assistance Quick Links

Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs or disability.
To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (Voice). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.