Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Social Services

Social Services is composed of services that include adoption assistance, adult, family and children’s services,  chemical and mental health services, elderly and disability services, foster care and child care licensing and community education and prevention services.


Adoption assistance is provided to persons interested in adopting children, adults who are in search of their biological family members or persons choosing to relinquish custody of their children.

Adult Protection

Reports of possible abuse and/or neglect need to be reported through the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC) by calling 844-880-1574.  Mandated reporters can make reports at Reports will then be forwarded to the appropriate lead agency.

Adult Foster Care

Adult Foster Care is a licensed home-like setting for adults who are unable to live on their own. These placements may be short-term, long-term or respite care.

Chemical Dependency

Chemical dependency services provide prevention, community education, case management, assessment, detoxification services, treatment services and aftercare to the general public and individuals experiencing chemical use problems in order to reduce personal and social costs of chemical abuse.

Mental Health Services

Mental health case management services are available for any adult, child or family member who is experiencing mental health problems. The services may include crisis support or referrals for hospitalization, if necessary.

Court Services

Commitment services are available.

Child Foster Care Services

Child foster care is a licensed home-like setting for children who are unable to live with their families for a variety of reasons. These placements may be on an emergency, temporary, long-term or respite basis. The goal is that the children will be reunited with their families.

Child Protection

Child protection workers receive reports of possible physical, emotional or sexual abuse and/or neglect and take appropriate action to provide for the safety of the children if needed.

Children and Family Services

This includes assessments, assistance in identifying services that may be beneficial, either within or outside the agency and the development and ongoing monitoring of individualized service plans.

Family Based Services

Provides parent education and counseling in the family home as an alternative to an out-of-home placement or preparing for a child to return home from an out-of-home placement.

Pregnant Adolescent Services

Pregnant adolescent services are available to anyone 17 years old or younger and are pregnant or already have a child. These services may be required if the minor parent is receiving a monthly cash benefit. Services may include assisting with establishing paternity, schooling, daycare, employment and other appropriate referrals.

Developmental Disability Services

Services to adults and children with developmental disabilities include coordinating appropriate assessments and evaluations, developing an individualized plan and assisting to identify potential services and providers. Services also include exploring appropriate and individualized services to encourage as much independent and integrated living as possible.

MnChoices Assessments

Public Health Nurses and Social Workers assess the appropriateness of nursing home placement and provide information and resources for alternative living arrangements or in-home services. This is a free service offered to help determine the kinds of limitations a person has and the services available to help meet their needs.

Services to Seniors

Services to seniors are for persons age 60 and over who are experiencing difficulty living independently and are unable to provide for their needs.


Licensing services include Day Care, Adult Foster Care, and Child Foster Care on behalf of the Minnesota Department of Human Services, the Licensor conducts background studies on individuals and corporations, inspects homes where care is provided, provides training, consultation and guidance. Homes must meet minimum standards including fire and building codes and health and safety standards. Qualified licensed day care and foster homes are always needed.

Licensed Child Care Information

Minnesota Department of Health eDoc Forms

Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil
rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of
race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious
creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with
disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information
(e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency
(state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or
have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027,
USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online
at:, from any USDA office, by
calling (833) 620-1071, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the
complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged
discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
(ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027
form or letter must be submitted to:

1. Mail:
Food and Nutrition Service, USDA
1320 Braddock Place, Room 334
Alexandria, VA 22314; or
2. Fax: (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
3. Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.